Today, Aadhaar is one of the most important Identity Proof. Without an Aadhaar card, it is impossible to obtain a gas connection or a SIM card. It is also impossible to open a bank account without an Aadhaar Card and in a recent move, the government made it impossible for people to file taxes without an Aadhaar Card. Hence, any mistake in Aadhaar Card can cost you heavily as it is the single most essential ID proof. It is necessary to have the correct name, father’s name, husband’s name, surname and date of birth on Aadhaar card. Any mistake in the same should be corrected at the earliest.
If in case, you received your Aadhaar with a mistake in your name, father’s name, husband’s name or your surname then you should immediately take steps to rectify the mistake. The government has also made strict laws to ensure that no one deliberately gives the wrong name for Aadhaar card. For example, in an instance, a man deliberately gave his wrong name in Aadhaar Card and later when he went for correction of the name then the government forced him to change his real name to the name he gave while registration of Aadhaar Card.
Hence, you should never give false information while Aadhaar card registration and in the case of an honest mistake or in the case of a scenario where you require the change of surname, you can follow the process mentioned below. If in case, the executive made an error while typing your name, you can get the same corrected with help of an ID proof with the correct name.
Steps to Change / Update / Correct Name in Aadhar Online and offline
Recently UIDAI stop below online name change correction process. Now you have to visit nearest aadhar enrolment centre for name correction. Please visit along with your id proof like pan card, voter id card.
– The first step of the process is to navigate to the self-service portal of UIDAI. You can visit the portal by clicking here or paste this url in address bar (https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update).
– Now enter your Aadhaar number and the captcha code. Once you have entered the details, you can click on Send OTP button and this will trigger an OTP authentication.
– Enter the OTP you received and click on submit button. You will now get various options to make a correction.
– You can select the first option on the page by clicking on the radio button next to the Name and then you can enter the correct name.
– Once you have entered the correct details, you would require to upload self-attested ID proof and if in case you changed your name, you would require uploading a copy of the name change notice in the newspaper.
– On submit the documents, you will receive a request number and you should keep the request number safely as you can track the status of the request with help of the request ID issued to you.
In the case of any query, you can contact the UIDAI helpdesk on 1947 and in addition to this if your mobile number is not registered on Aadhaar then you would have to visit the Aadhaar Service Centre to get the corrections done.