Ajay Devgan, a fine versatile actor who stormed the Bollywood with his first entrant Phool Aur Kante in 1991 has been racking up blockbusters all the while in his career.
A fine actor known for his persona and voice, he retains one of the top spots as the current Bollywood maestro. In fact, he remains the only Bollywood actor to act in all the genres available within movie fraternity.
A recipient of three Filmfare Awards and two National Awards, he was also awarded Dada Saheb Phalke Award. He has also been awarded Padma Shri by the Government of India.
We look back at the career of this actor and unearth the best movies featuring him. Let’s sit back and enjoy the top ten best movies of Ajay Devgan of all time.
10) Khakee (2004)
- A movie by Rajkumar Santoshi, this one featured on the storyline of a few policemen who had been assigned to escort a terrorist back to the court.
- The movie featured Amitabh Bachchan, Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgan, Aishwarya Bachchan and Tushaar Kapoor.
- The movie earned immense praise for the story portrayal and was lauded throughout.
9) Phool Aur Kante (1991)
- The first movie of his career, this one is a romance drama film directed by Kuku Kohli.
- The movie had Ajay Devgan, Amrish Puri, Madhoo, Aruna Irani and more as the cast.
- The movie featured stunts from Ajay Devgan and was praised for his acting and action skills.
8) Zakhm (1998)
- A movie by Mahesh Bhatt, this one has Ajay Devgan, Pooja Bhatt, Sonali Bendre and more featured in a drama film.
- The movie earned Ajay Devgan National Film Award for Best Actor.
- It marked the first title of his career.
7) Singham (2011)
- A movie by Rohit Shetty, this one had Ajay Devgan, Kajol Aggarwal as the leads while Prakash Raj played the antagonist.
- The movie featured him in a role of policeman fighting against the corruption and earned him the title of Dada Saheb Phalke Award for Best Actor.
- The movie made way into a sequel titled Singham Returns in 2014. Read also: 10 Hit Bollywood Movies That Inspired From South Indian Films
6) Omkara (2006)
- A movie by Vishal Bhardwaj, this one is an adaptation of Othello by Shakespeare in the modern era.
- The movie had a cast of Ajay Devgan, Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan and Konkona Sen Sharma.
- The movie was lauded throughout and earned immense praise for the way the characterization was made.
5) Gangaajal (2003)
- A movie by Prakash Jha, this one featured Ajay Devgan in a policeman role.
- The movie borders on the storyline of dysfunctional corrupt policemen in the city of Tezpur and the prevailing political situation.
- The movie featured Ajay Devgan, Gracy Singh, Mohan Joshi, Yashpal Sharma and more as the cast.
4) Deewangee (2002)
- A movie made loosely inspired by the plot of Hollywood movie ‘Primal Fear’, this one was directed by Anees Bazmee.
- The movie featured Ajay Devgan, Akshay Khanna, Urlima Matondkar and more in the leads.
- The movie was immensely praised for its portrayal and earned Ajay Devgan Filmfare Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role.
3) Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai (2010)
- The movie loosely based on the story of Haji Mastan, the foremost Underworld Don of the then Bombay, this one featured Ajay Devgan as the Sultan Mirza.
- The movie was directed by Mithun Lutharia and featured Ajay Devgan, Emraan Hashmi, Kangana Ranaut, Prachi Desai and more as the cast.
- The movie was praised and the actors were lauded for the way they enacted upon.
2) Company (2006)
- A movie by Ram Gopal Varma, this one was one of the first ones to be made on the Mumbai Underworld and the crime world.
- The movie explores the story of a criminal syndicate and a slum-guy meeting up to form a most feared criminal group.
- The movie is loosely inspired by the real story plot of Mumbai Underworld and had Ajay Devgan, Mohanlal, Manisha Koirala, Vivek Oberoi and more.
1) The Legend of Bhagat Singh (2002)
- The movie remains as one of the most ambitious ones of the Bollywood and was directed by Rajkumar Santoshi.
- The movie had Ajay Devgan, Sushant Singh, Akhilendra Mishra and more in the leads.
- The movie enacted Ajay Devgan as the Bhagat Singh, the legendary freedom fighter who fought against the British Rule in India.
- The movie earned Ajay Devgan National Award for Best Actor along with Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor.
It was really tough compiling a list of best movies of Ajay Devgan, such is the caliber of this fine actor. Here’re a few honorable mentions in the ilk of Yuva, Golmaal, Apaharan, All the Best, Rajneeti and more.
We bid adieu from the post today. We shall be back with more the next time. Adios.