You would have noticed that almost every space specific scheme launched by the government requires you to submit a Domicile Certificate. This is especially true in the case of scholarship schemes. Do you know a Domicile is? Well, to begin with, Domicile Certificate is a document that is issued by the state and this document validates the residential status of the Person. This means that the domicile certificate contains the details of the state that a person belongs to.
Today, in this article, we are going to share the process to get the Domicile Certificate in India. It should be noted that the process may vary from one state to another and hence we have listed a generalized process for you. Before we start discussing the process, we would like more details about the Domicile Certificate.
Let us start by talking about the importance and Benefits of obtaining a Domicile Certificate.
Importance and Benefits of Domicile Certificate
- As mentioned earlier, almost every state-specific scholarship program requires the student to submit the domicile certificate. This means that the domicile certificate is required to be submitted in university or to the government to get the scholarship.
- In addition to the point mentioned above, the domicile certificate may also be required to get the benefits of the government related schemes.
- Lastly, a person can avail the reservation quota for the state using these domicile certificates. It is a mandatory document in such a case.
This was the importance and Benefits of Domicile Certificate. Let us now talk about the Eligibility Criteria for getting a Domicile Certificate and then we will talk about the documents required for the same.
Eligibility Criteria to get Domicile Certificate
- The applicant must have stayed in a state for at least 3 years. This means that if the person is seeking a domicile certificate for Maharashtra then he should have been staying in Maharashtra for the last 3 years.
- The Domicile Certificate are usually issued to the students or to the government servants
Documents required to get Domicile Certificate
The documents required while applying for the Domicile Certificate are
- Aadhaar Card
- Bank Passbook
- Driving License
- Electricity Bill
- Employer Certificate (If Applicable)
- House Tax Receipt
- PAN Card
- Ration Card
- Voter ID Card
- Water Bill
This was all the required information about the Domicile Certificate. Now, let us talk about the procedure to get the Domicile Certificate.
Online Process to Get Domicile Certificate
Follow the process below to get the Domicile Certificate via Online Application Mode.
- Almost every state has an e-service website and hence you need to visit the e-service website of your state to apply for Domicile Certificate. These websites can be used to apply for various services like Caste Certificate, Domicile Certificate and other such documents.
- Once you are on the website, you need to register your account. After the registration, login to your account.
- After logging in to your account, click on Services and then select Domicile Certificate. This will take you to the application page. Enter all the details in the form and submit the form.
- The application will be reviewed and the domicile certificate will be issued to you within 10 to 14 working days. The government is working on reducing the SLA for issuing the certificate but this is the timeline for now.
Offline Process to Get Domicile Certificate
If you are not comfortable in applying for the Domicile Certificate Online then you can follow the offline procedure also. In the offline procedure, you need to visit the Common Service Centres established by the government. These are also known as Municipality Offices. At these centres, you can obtain the application form and fill in the details.
After the details have been filled, you can submit the form along with required documents. You might need to get the application verified and this can be done by a gazetted officer. Post submission, you can collect the Domicile Certificate as per the timeline quoted.
This was all about the Domicile Certificate. It must be noted that the timeline varies from one state to another. Also, the domicile certificate is valid for lifetime and it doesn’t have an expiry date on it.