Are you a student who is wondering about what to do after completing class 12? If so, then you should consider a government job after class 12. Working in the government sector is considered to be one of the most prestigious jobs in the country. Every year, lakhs of students appear for several government exams, to land their dream government job. Government employees have many perks and benefits such as high salary, allowances such as rent and travel allowance, as well as a great reputation in society.
The vacancies every year for these jobs are few, hence, the competition is extremely high. However, with practice, it is easy to crack the exams and land the government job of your dreams. It is a common misconception that government jobs are only for those who are studious or highly qualified. This isn’t the case because there are government jobs available for individuals of different educational backgrounds such as after class 10th as well as after class 12.
Let’s take a look at some of the most sought-after government exams that aspirants can give, after class 12.
1. SSC CHSL – The Combined Higher Secondary Level Examination (CHSL) is conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) for the posts of –
- Lower Divisional Clerk (LDC)/Junior Secretariat Assistant (JSA)
- Data Entry Operator (DEO)
- Postal Assistant (PA)/Sorting Assistant (SA)
- Data Entry Operator Grade ‘A’ (DEO Grade A)
The age limit for this examination is between 18 and 27 years of age, with exceptions for those belonging to reserved categories. This exam can be given by students who have passed their class 12th examination in any stream. However, for the DEO Grade A position, the candidate should’ve passed their 12th class board examination in the Science stream with Mathematics as a compulsory subject. Candidates can apply online for the SSC CHSL on the official SSC website. The pay scale for job posts under the SSC CHSL examination is great, hence, this is one of the most sought-after exams after class 12th.
2. Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ Examination – Another examination conducted by the Staff Selection Commission is the open examination for the posts of Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’. These posts are across various ministries, offices, and departments of the Government of India. Candidates need to be between 18 to 30 years old to apply for the Stenographer Grade ‘C’ post and between 18 to 27 years for the Stenographer Grade ‘D’ post. Candidates from reserved categories get some exceptions. All candidates who want to take this exam need to have passed their class 12th board examinations. You can apply for this examination online on the official SSC website. The recruitment for these posts is done regularly, hence, candidates who’re interested in a government job after 12th class can take this exam.
3. Examination for Recruitment of Constables and Rifleman – The third open examination conducted by the SSC is the examination for these posts –
- Rifleman (General Duty) in Assam Rifles
- CISF (Central Industrial Security Force), ITBP (Indo Tibetan Border Police), NIA (National Investigation Agency), BSF (Border Security Force), CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force), SSB (Sashastra Seema Bal), and Constable (General Duty) in SSF (Secretariat Security Force).
Once a candidate clears the computer-based examination, they have to undergo the PET (Physical Efficiency Test), PST (Physical Standard Test), and the Medical Examination. The age limit for applying to these posts is 18 to 23, with relaxation for candidates from reserved categories. Candidates who’ve passed their class 10 board examinations are eligible to apply for this exam. There are many vacancies for the post of Constable, especially in the different cadres of CAPF (Central Armed Police Force). If you’re physically fit and looking for a government job, this is the best option for you. You can apply for the exam on the official website of SSC.
4. RRB (Railway Recruitment Board) Examinations – The RRB conducts an open examination for the recruitment of candidates for the following posts –
- Accounts Clerk-cum-Typist
- Trains Clerk
- Junior Stenographer (Hindi)
- Junior Clerk-cum-Typist
- Junior Time Keeper
- Commercial-cum-Ticket Clerk
- Junior Stenographer (English)
The age limit is different for each post. If you are a candidate between the age of 18 and 31, you can apply for at least one post. There are relaxations for candidates from reserved categories. The minimum eligibility criteria for each position is –
- For the positions of Accounts Clerk-cum-Typist, Junior Clerk-cum-Typist, as well as Junior Timer Keeper– For these posts, candidates should at least have passed their Class 12 board examinations in any stream, along with typing skills in English or Hindi.
- For Commercial-cum-Ticket Clerk and Trains Clerk examination – For these posts, all candidates should’ve cleared their 12th class board examinations in any stream with a minimum of 50% marks.
- For Junior Stenographer (English and Hindi) – For these posts, candidates should’ve cleared their 12th class exams. They should also have a shorthand speed of at least 80 minutes per minute for 10 minutes, including 50 minutes of transcription time is required.
Candidates can apply for the RRB examination online, on their website. Metro railways and others recruit a high number of individuals for the above-mentioned government jobs. RRB examination is considered to be one of the most prestigious government exams in India. Click here for more info if you are a student aspiring to clear the RRB examination.
5. Indian Army TES Written Examination – For recruiting candidates for the 1-year Basic Military Training at the Officer’s Training Academy in Gaya, followed by 4-year technical training at CME, Pune, MCEME, Secunderabad, or MCTE, a written examination is conducted by the Indian Army. Candidates are placed as Lieutenants with the Indian Army, on completing the 5-year training.
The age limit for applying for this examination is 16.5 to 19.5 years. Candidates who want to apply for this position should’ve passed their class 12 board examinations in the Science stream with Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry, with a minimum aggregate of 70% marks in each. Candidates can apply for the exam online through the website of the Indian Army.