Over the years, dams have become a quintessential part of human civilization. The need for water has catapulted the demand for dams quite high up in the rankings.
Dams make an artificial water pool which can be used for irrigation, hydropower generation and other various purposes. This barrier to the water body can assimilate volumes of water in a place.
There have been objections raised in the past over erection of some dams, but looking at the bigger picture, one cannot sway against it. They provide means for human growth without majorly affecting the nature.
Despite their bigger concrete structures, dams do make a fine sighting and recreation happening place. Today we’d look to list out such 10 most famous and major dams of India.
10) Srisailam Dam
- This dam has been constructed over the Krishna River in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- It is the second largest hydropower generator in the country. The dam has dimensions of 512m length and 300m height above the sea level.
- The reservoir has an area of 800 sq
9) Idukki Dam
- This dam is located in Kerala and stands between two mountains.
- It produces around 780 mega-watt of hydroelectricity.
- The dam has a height of 168m which makes it the one of the highest arch dams of the nation.
8) Bhavanisagar Dam
- This dam is also known by the name of Lower Bhavani Dam and is situated in Tamil Nadu.
- The dam is one of the major attraction of the place and is one of the biggest earthen dams in the nation.
7) Koyna Dam
- This dam was built as part of the hydropower project on Koyna River of Maharashtra.
- The dam features a 1920 megawatt hydropower project.
- It has four-way power generation method and is often termed the lifeline of Maharashtra.
6) Indirasagar Dam
- The Indirasagar Dam has been erected over the Narmada River in Madhya Pradesh and acts as multi-purpose infrastructure.
- The dam has a length of 653m and a height of 92m. The dam provides irrigation facility to the agricultural lands nearby.
- It also has a hydropower project of 1000 megawatt and provides renewable electricity.
5) Sardar Sarovar Dam
- The dam is part pf Gujarat’s territory and is hoisted on Narmada River.
- It features a state-of-the-art engineering and is a series of irrigation and hydropower dams.
- The dam has a height of 163m from the base and was planned as part of thedevelopment
- It is one of the most controversial dams constructed to
4) Bhakra Dam
- The dam is constructed over the Sutlej River and lies in between the border of Punjab and Himachal Pradesh.
- It has a height of 225m and is the second highest dam in Asia.
- It is also the second largest water reservoir in India.
3) Hirakud Dam
- The Hirakud Dam lies in the state of Orissa. It is constructed over the Mahanadi River.
- The dam is one of the longest man-made structure in the world with 26km length.
- It was one of the first few multi-purpose dams constructed in India after the Independence.
2) Tehri Dam
- Tehri Dam is one of the first earth-fill and multipurpose rock dam constructed in India.
- It is constructed over the Bhagirathi River which falls within the territory of Uttarakhand, India.
- The dam has a height of 260m and a length of 575m.
1) Mullaperiyar Dam
- The dam is a heritage of Kerala and is been standing erect for the last 116 years.
- The dam is built on the border of Kerala-Tamil Nadu.
- The dam is known for its endorsing praise from the former Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
That brings us to an end of the factfile on 10 most famous major dams of India. These dams are a great example of architectural and engineering accomplishments which has helped the nations and its citizens alike. We hope the post intrigued you.