FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India established by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. The FSSAI protects public health through regulation of food safety. FSSAI provides license to all food related businesses if they clear the defined regulations.
FSSAI also inspects the ingredients used in each product and ensures it is not harmful for consumption or is a trigger for any contagious disease.
Types of FSSAI licenses
It is mandate for every food related business to acquire FSSAI license number per the government regulations. There are basically three types of FSSAI licenses. Basic, Central license and State license.
Basic registration is for the food business which include small scale food manufacturers, storage units, transporters and distributors. The state government provides the license given the annual turnover is not more than 12 lakh rupees.
The food business operators from small to medium sized manufacturers, storage units, retailers, marketers and transporters are required to obtain FSSAI state license. The state license is issued only for state for example Mumbai only. The license is not valid in other states. Also, the annual turnover should be more than 12 lakhs and the maximum tenure for the license is 5 years and a minimum is 1 year.
The businesses which include large scale food manufactureres, seaports, hundred percent import units, food operators in central government agencies and distributors need to obtain Central License from FSSAI. Since the business is all over India, the operator must acquire license for their head office. This license is for the food related businesses whose turnover is more than 20 crore rupees. The maximum tenure for the license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
What is FSSAI License number?
FSSAI number is a 14 digit number partitioned into 5 sections
- First Digit – The first digit explains to us if the business is registered or not.
- Second and third digit represent state code which means it tells you from which state the business is.
- Fourth and fifth digit tell you in which year the business enrolled it self into FSSAI
- Sixth, seventh and eight digit implies the quantity of enrolling master is reflected.
- From nine to fourteen are the permit number.
- The FSSAI number acquired by business and its logo must be packaged on the product.
- When importers import a product, they need to show the number FSSAI along with name and address of the importer.
- The FSSAI number should be endorsed as per the standards defined by FSSAI organization.
- The documents required to apply for the license are Aadhar card of the person applying for license, PAN card of the owner, Gas Bill or electricity bill, IEC code for Central license and CA declaration if the turnover is more than 18 crores.
- If renewal application is not filled in time, a penality of 100 Rupees will be charged for each day of the delay. Also, if the license is not renewed within the grace period, it will be expired and business operator is not allowed to continue his business. The business operator should re-apply the license as a new application and get the approval. It is advisable to avoid delays in renewing the license as it may effect the revenue.
- If you are operating food business from multiple locations then you have apply for multiple food licenses.
- If the FSSAI license is lost and you need a duplicate, then the cost of the license will be 10% of the cost of the license application.
- If the license is cancelled for any reason, immediately contact the FSSAI authority and clear off all the allegations and prove the food product is safe for business.
How to check FSSAI license number online
- Visit the website https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/index.aspx and enter the application reference no. .
- Now enter the captcha code and click on go to check if the number entered is valid.
- Login with your user name and password.
- A page will pop-up where you can see the details about your license.
The page will display FSSAI application status if it is active or inactive, your license number, name of the manufacturer, business type, product list, premise address and food product.
There are certain limitations where a license can be suspended or cancelled. Below are some points which tell you the circumstances under which license is suspended/cancelled.
- Food poisoning or any outbreak of a particular disease.
- Serious food complaints where consumer safety is effected
- If there is any violation with a history of not being complaint with FSSAI procedure.
- Interrupting an inspection officer
FSSAI license application and process
- The business owner must register into the website and fill the form A/B which determine the eligibility of the food operator. Also, it reads the code of conduct to operate the business for which the owner should agree and adhere.
- On receiving the application, a verification process starts in which the authorities will examine the business purpose and arrange inspection in business premises to ensure the food business is adhering to FSSAI guidelines.
- After inspection the authorities will provide you license if your business is as per FSSAI standard.
- The license will take approximately 60 days to reach you. You can resume business if you did not receive the license after 60 days and wait for further notice.
It is very important for a food business operator who owns FSSAI license to be complaint as the result of any violation activity is serious and will have a law suit closely monitoring the business. It is a good habit to check license in the website portal from time to time for any important notification and the renewal date.
Thus, FSSAI license is important in India for any business operator to obtain consumer trust and expand to provide the citizens qualitative and reasonable food product at a reasonable price.