Form 16A which is also referred to as TDS Certificate is an important document for you if you are a taxpayer in India. TDS stands for Tax Deduction at Source and this form certifies that you have paid the income tax for your income directly at the source. An example of this is that if you have a Fixed Deposit in the bank and if you are earning an interest income of over Rs 10,000 then the bank will deduct the taxes as per the standard procedure.
Now, while paying the income tax at end of the year, you do not have to pay the taxes for this interest income.
In such a case, Form 16A will be issued to you to certify that you have paid the applicable tax. Basically, Form 16A has the details of all the tax paid on other source of income apart from the tax paid by you on the salary.
What are the Details mentioned on Form 16A?
Apart from the tax paid by you, the form has your name, the details of the address of deductor as well as deductee. Form 16A would also have the details of the PAN Number and the challan details for the tax deposit.
Steps to Download Form 16A
To download the Form 16A from the TRACES website, you can follow the steps listed below.
- Start by navigating to TRACES website and if you do not know the link of the website then you can click on https://contents.tdscpc.gov.in/
- From the left side pane, click on Login Button and this will take you to the login page. You can login here as Deductor or as Taxpayer. Choose the Taxpayer from here.
- Enter your Login ID, Password and PAN Card Number in the section below. If you do not have the login details or if you are a first time user then you can click on Register as New User and complete the registration for your account.
- You will be taken to the dashboard of the account. On the top menu bar, click on Download Tab and this will display a drop-down option.
- From the drop-down menu, select Form 16/16A. You will now be taken to a new page where you will be asked to enter some of the details.
- Enter all the details requested and validate the PAN Card details as well to download the Form 16A. Once that is done, the form will automatically be downloaded and saved on your local drive.
This as the process to download Form 16A and if you are facing any difficulty then you can go ahead and get in touch with TRACES for the same. The contact number for Traces is 1800 103 0344 or +91120 4814600. The team will help you in resolving the issue
Also, it should be noted that if you notice any discrepancy in Form 16A then you must get in touch with the deductor immediately and resolve the issue with them.