Yes, it is now very convenient to exercise your right of voting with the help of Aadhaar card. As mentioned earlier, you only need your verify your name in the electoral or voter list. If you are a registered voter, then you only need to display your Aadhaar card or any of the documents mentioned above and vote for the candidate of your choice.
Aadhaar card can surely be used as a photo id proof for voting but it is not a voter’s ID card. The reason why Aadhaar is used in almost all government related features is that the voter ID was getting misused. A lot of people would use the voter IDs of the dead people or were even voting in place of non-residential Indians because of their lack of knowledge or the government’s lack of information on the status of the residents.
Aadhaar card is truly a blessing as with this many of the processes of the Government can become fool-proof. For example, the Non Residential Indians are not allowed to vote and they are also not being issued an Aadhaar card so if the ID proof of the NRIs is misused, it could be doubly checked.
Besides, this is as per the rule 28 of Registration of Electors Rules, 1960, that people can exercise their vote without the voter ID or the Electoral Photo ID Card (EPIC) issued under the rule 28.
The Election Commission of India has announced a list of ID cards which are eligible to be used in place of Voter ID card. These ID cards are:
- Driving License
- PAN Card
- Aadhaar Card
- Passbook issued by the post office or bank (the one with photograph)
- If you are retired, you can carry your pension document to use as photo ID document
- In case of a government employee, the identity card or the service card as allotted by the central and state government, or a public sector organization would work.
- Smart card as allotted by the National Population Register
- Health insurance smart card allotted by the Ministry of Labor and Employment
- MNREGA job card – if you are registered in the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Scheme.
In case you are a registered voter, you can carry any of the documents as mentioned above in original. Photocopies would not be entertained. This move by the government has surely made things easier for the residents.