Know Your PAN Jurisdiction A.O. & How to Change/Update it?

While filling the details in the application form for PAN Card, you would have actually filled in the details of many things which are mandatory to get the PAN Card. One such detail that you filling in the PAN Card is that of A.O. Office. If you are not sure of what A.O. stands for then you must know that A.O. stands for Assessing Officer. You can find the A.O. details by simply entering the PAN Number on TIN-NSDL website.

In this article, we are going to touch upon the details of Assessing Officer so that you know what it is all about.

PAN Number Jurisdiction

Talking about the basis, you must know that each PAN is associated with an Assessing Officer and hence a code is linked to every PAN Number. This detail is not mentioned on the PAN Card but you will be able to find that detail by logging in to TIN-NSDL Portal –

The code that represents the A.O. helps in identification of Commissioner’s Charge, Joint Commissioner Range, Chief Commissioner Range and the place as well as the designation of A.O. This assignment is dependent on the geographical location primarily but it also depends on the source of income to some extent. These units are further categorized in what is known as wards or circles. As mentioned earlier, the ward or the circle number allocated to you will primarily be dependent on the income.

How to Know about the PAN Jurisdiction You Fall in?

If you wish to check your A.O. or your PAN Jurisdiction then the process is quite easy. Earlier, you had to refer to a document to figure that out but it has been made very simple now. Simply follow the process listed below to find your A.O. details

The first step to check the A.O. details is to visit the Income Tax Portal of India. Do not get confused between Income Tax Portal and TIN-NSDL Portal. The link for Income Tax Porta is

On the left-hand side of the page, you will notice a quick link and you can simply click on Know Your AO from here. If you are not able to find the button then you can use the link

You will be redirected to a new page where you will have to enter your PAN Number and Mobile number. Click on the submit button after entering the details and this will trigger an OTP message on your mobile number.

Enter the OTP in the designated area and click on the validate button. The details of the Jurisdiction will be displayed on your screen. The details that you will be able to see are

  • Name
  • Indian Citizen
  • Area Code
  • AO Type
  • Range Code
  • AO Number
  • Jurisdiction
  • Building Name
  • Email ID
  • Status

Is it Possible to Change PAN Jurisdiction?

A lot of people come and ask us if they can really change the PAN Jurisdiction. The answer to this question is that yes, you can change the PAN Jurisdiction and you can change it when your either move home or when you are not happy with the present A.O.

If you need to change your A.O then you can refer to the process below for both the cases.

In case of Address Change

If you moved to a new house in a completely different area then you would have to update these details before you file your income tax. This would help you in establishing a clear communication channel with the Income Tax department and below is the process to change the A.O. in case of an address change

Steps to change A.O. in case of an address change

  • To start the process, you need to visit the TIN-NSDL website and on this website, you need to click on Services and then select PAN to proceed.
  • On the next page, select Apply under the section Change/Correction in PAN Data. This will now take you to Form 49A or Form 49AA depending on your selection.
  • Fill in the form and update your Contact Details in the address tab. Once you completely submit the form, you can proceed and take the print out of the acknowledgement form.
  • This acknowledgement form should now be given to the new A.O. along with a written letter to update the A.O. details. In this letter, you will have to mention the new A.O. details as well along with the address proof and the reason for the transfer.

Steps to Change A.O. If In case you are Not Happy with A.O.

There are some cases when people find themselves with an A.O. who is not very professional. What do you do in such a case? Well, there is a way to change the A.O. in such a case and here is how you can do it.

  • You need to write an application or complaint describing the details and along with that, you will have to furnish the details of your PAN Card as well. This complaint or letter should be redirected to Ombudsman.
  • Once you submit the letter, you will have to obtain the signature of the officer who is taking the letter and retain a copy with you. Ensure that you have mentioned the reason for requesting the change of A.O. in details.
  • If required, you will be asked to submit some documents. Once that is done, your A.O. will be updated.

This was all about the A.O. and Jurisdiction of PAN Card. For any other query, we would recommend you to call the TIN-NSDL helpline at 020 – 27218080 and seek help from the customer service executive there.

Related Topics:

About The Author

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top