Induction cooktops have become really popular these days. People consider these as more efficient and faster way of cooking food. Besides, these are also considered energy-efficient. In this article, we shall see some of the different ways in which an induction cooktop work.
What is an Induction?
Induction is a process by which electricity is generated with the help of magnetism. When you are cooking with the help of an induction, the vessel uses electric induction for the purpose of cooking. For this purpose, the different vessels that are used for it should be made of specific materials that go with the electric cooking. Most of the experts prefer using vessels made of stainless steel or cast iron. The pan generates electricity from inside, which is why this particular method of cooking is considered to be one of the most efficient ways of cooking. When you are using induction for cooking, you have to be careful if you are using a vessel made of copper or aluminum.
How Does an Induction Cooktop Work?
This is one of the most useful methods of cooking in which there is an electromagnet which helps you in the process of cooking. This also makes cooking all the more efficient and fast. When you see an induction cooktop, there is a transparent glass which contains an electronic metal. As soon as the current for the cooking is switched off, the flow of the current takes place through the coil and there is a magnetic field which will eventually help you in the process of cooking. However, this is only the process which produces stagnant current. In order to produce a current that is changing on a constant basis, an alternating current is used. This is what an induction cooking actually does with the help of something that is known as the induction hob. When a vessel that goes with the induction cooktop is placed on top of the cooktop, it is the magnetic field that actually goes through the pan or vessel and produces enough heat which then helps in the cooking of food. The heat actually spreads through the heat pan or any vessel, which, in turn, helps in cooking. Thus, this is one of the main mechanisms that go in the working of an induction cooktop and helps you in the process of cooking efficiently.
The following are a few steps that go into the working of the cooktop
- The cooking surface of the induction cooktop is typically made up of ceramic glass that is, in most of the cases, resistant to heat.
- There is a coil of metal that is placed inside the cooktops. As soon as the power is turned on, a magnetic field is created that, in most of the cases, flows through the coil. The heat is produced in an induction cooktop only when you place a pan. In case there is no pan or any other vessel on top of it, the cooktop does not produce any heat.
- When you place a pan on the cooktop, the magnetic energy that is produced as the power is switched on, makes the heat penetrate through the iron metal with which the pan is made of
- There are currents that is produced inside the heater, and the pan gets hot, which, in turn, helps the food to cook
- The process by which heat penetrates through the pan is known as conduction
Advantages of Using an Induction Cooktop for Cooking
As seen above, there are a few advantages that you will get if you use an induction cooktop for cooking. Some of the advantages that are associated with cooking on the induction cooktop are as follows:
- As already mentioned, induction cooktops are built on ceramic or glass. Hence, you can be rest assured that when you use induction cooktop for cooking, you and your family shall be safe.
- Besides, it is really convenient to clean the cooktop as opposed to other methods of cooking which do not use the induction.
- Another important thing to remember as far as cooking on the induction cooktop is concerned is the fact that the cooktop does not have any kind of open flame. It is only when you keep a pan on top of the cooktop, that you will see the flame and it goes a long way in helping you get the easy way of cooking that you are looking for.
- Besides, a few people belief that the use of induction cooktop is inconvenient when compared to using the traditional electric cooktop. However, the same is not true because the heat can be controlled along with the speed in a similar fashion.
Hence, the above are some of the most important advantages of using an induction cooktop. However, not everything is perfect with these and the following section defines some of the disadvantages of cooking on inductions which should be kept in mind.
Disadvantages of Using an Induction Cooktop for Cooking
With the use of induction cooktop, you have to keep in mind that there are a few disadvantages that go into the use of induction cooktop
- To begin with, the induction cooktops are considered to be more expensive than the traditional electric ones. However, the prices are considerably falling down and these days the price is not as expensive as it used to be in the past.
- Although it is believed that you end up saving on a lot of energy when you cook on the induction cooktop, the same always might not be true. The energy savings are not as significant as it was thought it would have been.
- The induction cooktop does not work on all types of vessel. Only the stainless steel and other vessels that are made of iron are actually the ones that will be able to cook food on an induction cooktop. Hence, this becomes a little inconvenient for different categories of people as they find it inconvenient as all vessels need to be selected as per induction cooktop
Thus, the above are a few drawbacks of an induction cooktop. However, it is true that most of the above drawbacks can easily be combatted if you use the induction cooktop effectively in an efficient manner.
Thus, the above are some of the different ways in which you can use an induction cooktop. There are both advantages and disadvantages of the using the induction cooktop. The decision of whether to buy it or not has to be taken wisely.