In past, people from SC, ST and OBC categories were not treated right so the government made a special provision in law to provide a push to these categories for the welfare of society and to promote equality. The government launches many schemes for the people in these categories and in addition to this, there are special reservations of them in education institutes as well as government jobs.
To be able to get these benefits, it is mandatory for the applicant to have Caste Certificate which acts as a proof of fact that these people belong to SC/ST or OBC category. In addition to this, the caste certificate also avoids the misuse of the government policies and they ensure that the right people get the benefits.
Each state issues Caste Certificate and the good thing is that the process has been made available online now. In this article, we have listed all the information required to get the Caste Certificate.
This is issued basically to the people belonging to SC, ST and OBC and it helps them in availing the benefits of government schemes. This also helps the people in getting admission in top most institutes in India like IIM, IIT and other colleges. Apart from this, the caste certificate is also needed to apply for a government job under this special category. So basically, the end consumer of the form can be government, education institutes or NGOs.
There are certain documents that are required to get the Caste Certificate and the details of the same are listed below.
Documents Required to Obtain Caste certificate
The documents that you need to get the caste certificate are
- Aadhaar Card
- Address proof
- Application Form
- Birth Certificate
- Income Certificate
- Ration Card
- Voter ID Card
Apart from these documents, you would also need to have a few photographs of yourself. It should be noted that the application form is only needed in case of offline procedure which can be obtained from the district office. Lastly, you need to self-attest all the documents that you are attaching with the form.
Process to Obtain Caste Certificate
There are online as well as offline ways to get caste certificate and the government may stop the offline process anytime. We have listed the process to get the Caste Certificate Online below. Here is how you can get it.
- To apply for caste certificate, you can start by visiting the online portal of your state. This is the starting point and each state has a different portal for delivering public services. A simple google search can redirect you to the right link.
- Login to the portal and if you do not have an account then you must register an account for yourself. The registration won’t consume more than 5 minutes. After creating your account, you can login with your username and password.
- You will now be taken to the homepage of the portal where you will see all the different schemes and services offered by the government.
- Go to Services and select Caste Certificate here. This service will be listed under the Revenue You will now be taken to a new page where you can read the instructions along with the documents required. Once that is done, click on Apply Button.
- On a new page, a form will be displayed and you need to start by entering the type of form that you want to apply for. This can be SC Caste Certificate, ST Caste Certificate or OBC Caste Certificate. Also, enter all the personal details and submit the form and pay the fee.
- Once that is done, you will get an online application ID which is the proof of the application submitted by you.
If in case, you want to follow the online process, you can visit the district magistrate’s office and obtain an application form. You can carry the documents listed above. Fill in the form physically and submit the form along with the documents listed above.
This was all about the procedure of getting the caste certificate in any state. You can track the status with help of the application number and post-application, it takes about 14 to 21 working days to get the caste certificate.