In India, Government Jobs are considered to be really attractive and a secure option. The job security is high and the benefits that a government servant gets is also high. All these things make it quite attractive to work for the government. Today, we are going to talk about a role that commands respect. The designation that we are going to talk about today is Income Tax Officer. We are sure that after watching income tax raids in movies, you would have surely wanted to be an Income Tax Officer at some point in life.
We are going to help you in turning that dream into a reality by sharing the process of becoming an income tax officer in India. We are going to share the role of income tax officer along with the eligibility criteria, process and the salary of Income Tax Officer in India.
What does an Income Tax Officer do?
As the name suggests, the Income Tax Officer deals in the matter and work related to the income tax. The person works directly with CBDT which also stands for Central Board of Direct Taxes. In addition to this, the responsibility of the Income Tax officer is not just restricted to track the tax defaulters. It is much more than just tracking the tax defaulters. The work involves a lot of analysis, reporting and much more. Let us now talk about the Eligibility Criteria for becoming an income tax officer and then we will share the process to become an income tax officer.
What is the Eligibility Criteria to Become an Income Tax Officer in India?
There are several points in the eligibility criteria. Here is a list of them
- Educational Qualification – As per the notification, the candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university.
- Age limit – The candidate should be at least 18 years old as on 1 July and the candidate should not be older than 27 years.
- Relaxation – There are certain relaxations for the age limit for SC, ST and OBC. If a candidate belongs to OBC category then the upper age of the candidate should not be more than 30 years whereas, if the candidate belongs to SC or ST category, the upper age of the candidate should not be more than 32 years. There are few more relaxations for employees who are working in Defence or who are working in the government
What is the Process to become an Income Tax Officer in India?
We have talked about the eligibility criteria. If you are eligible to be an income tax officer then you can follow the steps listed below
- The first thing that you need to do is that you need to visit the website of SSC and fill in the form during the application period. You will get this information in the employment newspaper or you can visit the website to keep a track.
- It should be noted that the notification published in the employment newspaper has all the details of the syllabus, number of vacancy and salary details.
- The candidate must pay the fee and complete the form within the given deadline. Once that is done, the candidate will receive his admit card and he will then have to appear in the preliminary exam.
- The preliminary exam has two sub-sets and below are the details for the same.
- Part A – General Intelligence and General Awareness – this section has a total of 100 questions which needs to be competed in 2 hours and the marks for this section are 100.
- Part B – Arithmetic – this section has a total of 100 questions which needs to be competed in 2 hours and the marks for this section are 100.
- If the candidate qualifies the Preliminary exam, he is called for the main exam. This exam again has two part. The first part of the exam is the written test and the second part of the exam is the personality test. Below are the details of the pattern of the question paper in Part A.
- General Studies– This section carries a total of 200 marks and it should be completed in 3 hours.
- English -This section carries a total of 100 marks and it should be completed in 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- Arithmetic -This section carries a total of 200 marks and it should be completed in 4 hours.
- Language -This section carries a total of 100 marks and it should be completed in 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- Communication Skill and Writing – This section carries a total of 200 marks and it should be completed in 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- If the candidate clears the written exam and the personality test, he is admitted to into the department as an income tax officer.
This was all about the process of becoming an Income tax officer in India. Talking about the salary, the salary depends on the pay grade and pay scale. As per the latest information the basic pay is between Rs 6,500 and Rs 10,500.
In addition to the basic pay, the candidate receives Dearness Allowance, Leave and Travel Allowance, City Compensation Allowance and other benefits.